Why would you set-up a backup?
In the case that you lose your data you can easily import your backupdata back into Salesforce. To generate backup data, Salesforce offers an automated backup export on a weekly or monthly basis depending on your edition. You can export all your organization's data into a set of comma-separated values (CSV) files.
What to take into account before setting up an automated backup
- Users with the “Weekly Export” permission can view all exported data and all custom objects and fields in the Export Service page. This permission is granted by default only to the System Administrator profile because it enables wide visibility.
- Selecting ‘Include images’, documents, and attachments’ and ‘Include Chatter files and Salesforce CRM Content document versions’ increases data export processing time.
How to setup an automated backup export
- From Setup, enter Data Export in the Quick Find box, then select Data Export and Schedule Export.
- Select the desired encoding for your export file.
- Select Include images, documents, and attachments and Include Chatter files and Salesforce CRM Content document versions to include these items in your export data.
- Select Replace carriage returns with spaces to have spaces instead of carriage returns or line breaks in your export files. This selection is useful if you plan to use your export files for importing or other integrations.
- If you're scheduling your export, select the frequency (only available for organizations with monthly exports), start and end dates, and time of day for your export.
- Under Exported Data, select the types of data to include in your export. We recommend that you select Include all data if you are not familiar with the terminology used for some of the types of data. Note the following:
- Formula and roll-up summary fields are always excluded from exports.
- If your organization uses divisions, data from all divisions is included in the export.
- If your organization uses person accounts and you are exporting accounts, all account fields are included in the account data.
- If your organization uses person accounts and you are exporting contacts, person account records are included in the contact data. However, the contact data only includes the fields shared by contacts and person accounts.
- For information on field limitations, see the Salesforce Field Reference Guide.
- Click Start Export or Save.
Salesforce creates a zip archive of CSV files and emails you when it's ready. Exports complete as soon as possible, however we can't guarantee the date and time of completion. Large exports are broken up into multiple files. Follow the link in the email or click Data Export to download the zip file. Zip files are deleted 48 hours after the email is sent. The 48-hour time limit doesn't include weekends, so if your download file is ready on Thursday at 4 p.m., that file isn't deleted until Monday at 4 p.m.